Curriculum & Instruction
In accordance with the DeRuyter Central School District Curriculum Initiative Plan (2009-2011), the district is committed to promoting the exchange of best ideas and materials among teachers by providing opportunities for teacher collaboration and communication. The overall goal of the curriculum alignment and standards-based curriculum renewal with criterion based feedback is to improve student learning for all students in all content areas.
Student learning improves when teachers use the Big Four approach (©2005, Jane E. Pollock, PhD):
- Use a Well-Articulated Curriculum.
• Know and use clearly articulated curriculum
- Plan for Delivery.
• Plan and use instructional strategies that will help the learner remember content and apply information and skills
- Vary Assessment
• Use a range of assessment methods to clarify the learner’s status relative to learning targets, and generate the information necessary to help the learner achieve these targets.
- Give Criterion-Based Feedback.
• Give methodical feedback to the learner based on targets, and refine record keeping and report accordingly.
The DeRuyter Central School District, in collaboration with the Professional Development Committee, has provided the opportunity for vast professional development opportunities through the various initiatives focused on improving student learning.
- Learning Horizons, Inc.
- Collaborative Learning, Inc.
- Smart Schools
- Fountas & Pinnell
- 6+1 Writing Traits
Grades Pre-K – 12 Faculty including Sheri Smith, Curriculum Coach/6th Grade ELA/SS Teacher and Charles Thornton, Teacher Participant/2nd Grade Teacher, along with administrators, worked together to complete the DCS Curriculum that is fully aligned with NYS Standards and Benchmarks. The DCS Curriculum is available to staff, parents, and the community in electronic form through the curriculum documents link to the left.